It seems like every year when summer rolls around we as Texan’s forget how hot it gets. That first summer day slaps us in the face with temperatures in the high 80s and then you stop and remember that by the middle of summer it will be 20 degrees hotter!
According to Parents.com, “The Skin Cancer Foundation estimates that 80% of lifetime sun exposure occurs during childhood, and that just one blistering sunburn can double the risk of getting melanoma later in life.”
At one point or another, you may find yourself outdoors with your children and we want to make sure you are fully prepared to protect yourself and your kiddos from the sun!
1. Try to Avoid Unnecessary Sun Exposure: The UV rays are strongest between 10am and 4pm, and even on a cloudy day it is possible to get sun burnt. Shady spots are helpful but if you must be out during these parts of the day, make sure to wear sunscreen!
2. Apply Sunscreen Properly and Often: 1 time per day is NOT enough. Apply generously 30 minutes before your child goes out in the sun and reapply every 2 to 3 hours, especially after sweating or swimming. Make sure your sunscreen has an SPF of 15 or higher. Besides the typical places to put sunscreen on, remember the back of the neck, scalp, and back of the legs!
3. Cover Up: Protective clothing and a hat are a MUST when fighting off UV rays. These days there is an array of colors/patterns for long sleeve rash guards and hats for kiddos to throw on. Maybe give them an option to choose their favorite color or character to make the idea of keeping on this protective gear fun!
4. Keep a watch on medications: Some medications can increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun, so make sure to ask your doctor if your child is at risk.
5. Be an example to your kids: If your kiddos see you following these rules and practicing sun safety, they will want to do the same. Getting your kids protected is important but don’t forget to slap on your sunscreen too!
Check out more on these tips here and Happy Summer to all!
Urgent Care for Kids is the largest pediatric urgent care chain in Texas, serving families in the greater Austin, DFW, and Houston areas. Our goal is to provide every patient with the highest quality medical care and superior customer service at a time and location that is convenient to working parents. We accept all major commercial insurance plans and all Texas Medicaid and CHIP plans in order to best serve our patients and their families. To learn more about our locations, hours, and services we provide, please visit our website.