Last-Minute Vacation… Texas-Style!
Need to plan a last minute trip that is both family and budget friendly? Guess what? There are plenty of great vacation or “staycation” spots in the wonderful state of Texas. The vacation spots listed below are or will be near Urgent Care for Kids’ Houston, DFW, or Austin clinics.
Galveston – It is just about 45 minutes south of our West U Clinic. Take I-45 south, and before you hit the Gulf of Mexico you will be in Galveston! This may be the closest beach for many Texans to visit. The beaches in Galveston may not look like a Destin or a Monterrey, but Galveston has a lot to offer for a quick weekend trip.
- The Strand: This area offers a lot of history and activities. It is full of historic charm with original buildings and Galveston institutions such as Col. Bubbie’s, La King’s Confectionary, and the Tremont Hotel. There are museums, art galleries, shops, and restaurants that can keep the family occupied all day or weekend long.
- Schiltterbahn Galveston: It may not be as good as the one in New Braunfels, but it would be a great day activity for the family.
- Moody Gardens: The three large pyramids you see when driving into Galveston are all part of Moody Gardens. There are enough amenities and activities (for example: lazy river and 3-D Theater) that your family will not even need to leave the gardens during the weekend vacation. This could be good for large families or families with smaller children. Each pyramid offers an educational, but fun experience for the any type of family.
- Grapevine – This charming town is about 5 minutes from Urgent Care for Kids’ Colleyville clinic, and offers great activities for a family vacation. First, there are two major kid friendly hotels: Great Wolf Lodge and the Gaylord. Both hotels feature waterparks for the kids and activities for mom and dad, too! The Gaylord may offer more adult amenities, but the indoor waterpark at Great Wolf is definitely something the whole family should experience. Second, the historic downtown of Grapevine has many shops and restaurants for all ages to enjoy. Grapevine is almost equidistant from both Dallas and Fort Worth, so a quick trip to check these cities out would be worth a visit. Check it out and let us know how it was!
The Austin area has a lot to offer to any outdoorsy or foodie family. There are multiple natural water springs and lakes which offer many activities.
- Hamilton Pool: This natural pool is located about 30 minutes west of Austin. Hamilton Preserve requires a bit of hiking and an entrance fee. This picture of Hamilton Pool should do the convincing:
- Barton Springs: This is a natural spring located close to downtown Austin. The Barton Creek area is one of the most appealing parts of Austin. The Barton Springs Park requires a minimal entrance fee, but offers areas for picnicking and playing. There are also lifeguards on duty that provide a bit more peace of mind when traveling with kiddos. The run-off area of Barton Springs is FREE and is naturally scenic for swimming and hiking. Don’t miss out on some of the fun family-friendly restaurants, from eateries that were featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, to the original Chuy’s.
- The Lakes: Lake Austin, Towne Lake, and Lake Travis. All of these lakes offer restaurants with a view and water sports/activities. Lake Travis has zip lining for the adventurous family. The lake may be a little dry, but the view when zip lining is hard to beat. It can be little pricey, so try checking out Groupon or similar sites for discounts.
For a fun filled family vacation or staycation, traveling very far is not required and can also be done on a budget. Check out the free Texas Travel Guide.